COMPLETE JOB DETAILS:
Job Title: Procurement Specialist
Location: Houston TX, 77002
Job Type: Hybrid role
Duration: 3 – 6 Months
Under the supervision of the Director of Strategic Sourcing, the Procurement Specialist provides skilled purchasing knowledge and abilities in performing various standard public procurement-related duties within the department. Coordinate with Senior Buyers and administer procurement projects associated with an unlimited range of goods and services, and independently determine the disposition of routine procurement issues.
Major Responsibilities/Duties/Critical Tasks
- Receive and evaluate departmental requisitions, identify potential suppliers, and analyze and select appropriate procurement methods based on established procurement requirements and best value criterion.
- Review and assist with the development of specifications/scopes of work for an unlimited range of goods for review by upper-level staff.
- Develop, coordinate, and facilitate requests for proposals and formal competitive bids.(Request for Proposals, Request for Qualifications, and Invitation for Bids)
- Develop and draft specification and scopes of work in accordance with applicable state procurement regulations, HCC polices, and procedures.
- Directly coordinate with appropriate college departments and pertinent contractors at all stages of the Procurement process to ensure best value is secured in accordance with all applicable state, and HCC procurement regulations, polices, and procedures.
- Confer with and provide direction to departmental personnel regarding specifications, complaints and special issues related to procurement; monitor, investigate and perform problem resolution.
- Establish and maintain effective business community relations and provide procurement direction to contractors and other external customers; assist in negotiating with officials representing various contractors, and function as liaison between the college and contractors.
- Promote and develop end user understanding of purchasing procedures and processes through training and direct interaction.
- Coordinate with the manager of the Small Business Development Program to actively promote and positively impact the small business development program.
- Maintain proper procurement files and records relating to the purchasing and contracting process.
- Research and recommend new supply sources to support the efficient delivery of services and equipment.
- Identify process improvement opportunities to further procurement strategies.
- Perform other procurement related duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Education/Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field from an accredited institution. Directly related experience in lieu of bachelor’s degree may be considered.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of related experience in progressive professional purchasing. Experience requirement may be reduced in lieu of a bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field from an accredited institution.
- Five (5) or more years of progressive related experience in professional purchasing preferred.
- Experience using PeopleSoft, and Bonfire, software applications preferred.
- Preference given to candidate possessing one of the following certifications: Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM), Certified Professional in Supply Management (CPSM), Certified Public Purchasing Officer (CPPO), Certified Texas Contract Developer (CTCD) or similar certifications.
Accompanying Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and communicate well with a variety of internal and external constituents.
- Thorough knowledge of and/or ability to quickly learn applicable laws, codes, regulations, standards, policies, methods, and practices related to procurement.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required for working with the procurement services, financial services, and campus community (faculty, staff, and administrators).
- Ability to provide high-quality customer service and maintain these standards for procurement services.
- Ability to keep detailed records; to assemble and organize data of complex nature, and to prepare and submit reports in acceptable and/or required formats.
- Solid computer skills including use of software programs used in procurement services
- Ability to identify procurement-related problems, collect and analyze data, establish facts, perform thoughtful interpretation, draw valid conclusions, and propose appropriate courses of action.
- Ability to work collaboratively with co-workers and functionally related teams.
- Ability to work with confidential and sensitive information with discretion