Job Title: DIRECTOR, DEPARTMENT OF BUDGET AND MANAGEMENT
Job Location: Hidalgo, TX
The County of Hidalgo Department of Human Resources reserves the right to select candidates considered to be the most highly qualified based on education and experience. The hiring department will interview and select the candidates provided by the Department of Human Resources.
- Oversees and manages the development, operation, and maintenance of the Hidalgo County Budget and the budgetary process including administration of the County’s long-range Capital Improvement Program.
- This position directs, plans, organizes, analyzes, and prepares a comprehensive review and recommendation for all departmental budget requests and administers professional budgeting activities in compliance with the principals and procedures of public budgeting.
- The position performs complex professional level tasks related to budgeting and budget control and is responsible for the design and maintenance of the County Budgeting Program.
- The position reports to the County Executive Officer.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Provides expert advice, budget analysis, guidance and recommendations on all aspects of the Hidalgo County Budget to Commissioners Court, department heads, elected officials and staff; directs the activities of assigned staff to include compilation, review, examination, and interpretation of financial data
- Plans and directs the County’s Annual Budget Process including review of departmental requests and presentation of a recommended budget to Commissioners Court including existing operations, new programs, and works with the Department of Human Resources on staffing levels for all departments; recommends tax rates needed to finance the budget
- Conducts interviews, financial/budget audits and assists department heads and elected officials in developing budget requests; prepares legal notices for budget and tax rate statutory requirements and
- Directs the work activities of assigned staff to include the compilation, review, examination, and interpretation of financial data; the recommendations for the future; and the implementation of new ideas and financial strategies also ensuring adherence to established policies and procedures
- Supervises budget proposals, procedures, and expenditures during budget year
- Monitors and assists County departments’ expenditures, on an on-going basis, ensuring compliance with established policies and procedures and adherence to budget limitations; reviews availability of funds and evaluates requests for interdepartmental fund transfers and budget amendments, preparing reports detailing impact on budget and recommendations
- Conducts analytical studies, utilizing expertise in financial and budgetary areas, and in accordance with outlined goals and objectives; prepares and presents oral and written reports on findings and recommendations for improvements, as appropriate
- Coordinates, compiles, plans, and directs the long term Capital Improvement Program for the County
- Reviews and analyzes all departmental grant applications, grant awards, and law enforcement contracts to ascertain the impact to the budget prior to submitting requests to Commissioners Court
- Develops and proposes policies and procedures for budget development and administration, and assists with the design of the on-line budget application in order to streamline the budget process through the use of advanced technology
- Administers routine personnel matters affecting subordinates, including interviewing applicants, hiring, promoting, disciplining, terminating, etc., preparing and submitting various reports and records as required by the County management; approves employee time sheets, and approves compensatory, sick, and vacation leave
- Reviews Commissioners Court agenda packet prior to meetings for budget impact or verification and provides any necessary clarification and/or research associated with agenda items
- Performs other related duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, economics, business administration, public administration or related field required
- Experience may be substituted for education
- Ten (10) years of senior executive level/management experience in budget preparation and analysis, financial management, performance measurement reporting work required
- Ten (10) years of governmental accounting experience or similar/related experience preferred
- General knowledge/experience in audit processes and financial marketing required
- Understanding of use of federal funds and regulations (For ex: ARPA)
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATION
- Must have a current valid Texas motor vehicle operator’s license
- Must be able to be insured by the County’s insurance carrier
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Requires knowledge of advance principles of finance, accounting, budgeting, public administration, and local, state, and federal issues
- Requires knowledge of advance financial principles and practices
- Requires knowledge of statistical methods and financial analysis
- Requires knowledge of applicable local, state, and federal law, rules, and regulations
- Requires the ability to develop long-term strategies
- Requires the ability to compare and/or judge the readily observable, functional, structural, or composite characteristics (whether similar to or divergent from obvious standards) of data, people or things
- Requires the ability to use and interpret various technical and professional languages, including legal, financial and government accounting terminology
- Requires the ability to utilize mathematical formulas; to add and subtract totals; to multiply and divide; to determine percentages and decimals; to understand and apply the theories of algebra and statistical inference
- Requires the ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions
- Requires the ability to perform under stress and when confronted with persons acting under stress
- Requires the ability to manage or administer grant funds
- Requires the ability to make recommendations that impact the budget
- Requires the ability to manage the budget within assigned unit/division
- Requires the ability to determine allocation of budget (s) among departments
- Requires the ability to manage the budget within an assigned department(s)
- Requires the use of computers for word processing and/or accounting/finance purposes
- Requires the ability to create and guide implementation of capital improvement plans or programs
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; use hands to find, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop and kneel.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move over twenty-five (25) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Maintain physical conditions appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include the following:
- Sitting for extended periods of time
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Operating assigned equipment
Maintain mental capacity which permits:
- Making sound decisions and using good judgment
- Demonstrating intellectual capabilities
Effectively handle a work environment and conditions which involve:
- Working closely with others
- Working in a multi-task environment
Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for:
- Making observations
- Reading and writing
- Operating assigned equipment
- Communication with others
- Required to follow the County of Hidalgo Accident Prevention Plan and department’s safety regulations